February 16, 2020

Let’s Stop And Frisk Bloomberg’s Policing Record

Filed under: Bigotry, Children, Criminal, Fascism, Gender, Hate, News, Political, Questions, Race, Reason — Scottie @ 07:27

1. Since the title of the video was pretty clear, I didn’t try to watch this one.

This whole Bloomberg thing is making me angry. YES! He did allow a very ugly law to continue (started under Giuliani) while he was mayor. And yes, he’s offered some defense of it as being a good practice at the time. BUT, he has since looked back and expressed regret for his actions. Sure, he could just be “saying that” but what else is new in the world of politics? Besides, has Trump ever expressed any regrets for things he has done that harmed others? And even more pointed — is this past action on Bloomberg any worse than the things Trump has done?

Yet the media can’t leave it alone. They would rather potential voters dwell on a past action than focus on his very public support of climate change and gun control — and other very important-to-Democrats issues.

I’m not saying he’s the ideal candidate. Actually, I don’t think any of them are. They ALL have their drawbacks. But I DO think he could beat Trump, which is so very, very important!

Anyway, just had to get this off my chest. Thanks for the “space” to do so.

Comment by Nan — February 16, 2020 @ 13:08

• Not sure why all the bold??? I didn’t put it there intentionally …

Comment by Nan — February 16, 2020 @ 13:12

• Hello Nan. I like the bold. Hey if your going to have a rant, best to do it properly. πŸ˜πŸ˜€πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰ I love the emotion, I have it on topics myself. As I told Keith I want this to be a place people can come and discuss stuff, to share ideas and different views. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 16, 2020 @ 16:26

• Hello Nan. You should have watched the video. He inherited the program and increased it a thousand fold. At the height under him they were stopping and frisk young black people at the tune of 2,000 a day. Yes that is correct. Think of the damage done, then realize he justified this by using every racial trope there is against black POC. I listened to the videos of him and his claims. Like when he claimed the reason that they were doing this to minorities was because that is who commits the crimes and it is their neighborhoods the crimes come from. Plus they all have guns at home, like white people did not commit crimes or have guns. This is not about shades of policy, this is clear racism, and the actions of someone with the power to carry out his biases. As for regret he was still defending his actions until he was getting ready to run for president. In fact I listened to a 2015 interview he did where he defended the program completely. He only recently apologise and that is only to try to win over the POC vote. Sorry the facts are clear on this. He has some really set views on POC and their nature.

You can always vent here always, but in this case I disagree with you on the facts. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 16, 2020 @ 16:24

• I figured you’d disagree. And I’m sure others will as well. Just to be clear, I’m not defending him at all. It was a nasty law and clearly was bigotry in full display. (Note … as I previously mentioned, it was an inherited law — that Trump ass-kissing mayor started and enforced it before Bloomberg.)

What makes me angry is P.O.L.I.T.I.C.S. It’s all so cut-throat. What makes me angry is that his actions were no worse or no better than others in the political realm. Trump himself is the epitome of disgusting actions! But as soon as someone pulls ahead, someone…somewhere…digs out some dirt to fling at them.

And another thing. He ADMITS his actions. That should count for something. tRumpsky to this day DENIES everything that he’s said or done that might make him look bad … even when the TRUTH is clearly staring him in the face.

I just really want to vote for someone that I think will benefit the WHOLE country. Not just the sick or the college kids or the immigrants or the blacks or the gays or the women or the rich. I’m probably never going to find the person that fits my ideal, but hope springs eternal.

Comment by Nan — February 16, 2020 @ 17:00

• Hello Nan. It is not that I disagree with you so much as it is that Bloomberg made it so much worse. He took the policy and ramped it up. That was in the video. He did not simply continue an existing policy, he made it much much worse.

Yes he did admit his actions, just recently. I can not give him credit for waking up to the damage he caused and the hateful reasoning behind it when others tried repeatedly to tell him and he defended it until recently. Really, he was defending the policy years after it was ruled unconstitutional. He only started admitting he was wrong last year. That is rather late to the party to get credit for it. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/17/nyregion/bloomberg-stop-and-frisk-new-york.html

Nan we do agree that no one is perfect, no one has not made a mistake or said the wrong thing, and people need to use some sense when attacking others. I do not like gotcha politics, nor do I believe in purity politics. We all have warts and blemishes, dang I know I do. And I know we all are very concerned about winning against tRump. But the problem with the argument about electability is it doesn’t exist until someone is elected. Biden’s thing was he was the most electable, yet that is not seeming true now , is it? Most people I read half a year ago said Harris would be the next president.

This is the primary, we need to vote for our hopes, our wants, our dreams. Then in the General we all vote blue no matter who. But if we are going to excite the young and the women to come out we can not go with just another old white man who is creditably accused of sexual harassment, misogyny, and bigoted views.
          Thanks Nan for being will to share your views and willing to stick up for what you believe. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 16, 2020 @ 17:40