March 25, 2020

A Pastor Told His Congregation Numerous Lies About COVID-19 During a Service

Filed under: Criminal, Greed, Health, News, Political, Questions, Reason, Religion — Scottie @ 05:46

A Pastor Told His Congregation Numerous Lies About COVID-19 During a Service

Among his lies to The River church in Tampa Bay, Florida:

• COVID-19 is a “phantom plague.”
  • It was created by the Chinese government to tank the U.S. economy.
  • The media is run by Communists.
  • There’s a 75% chance the positive test is negative.
  • Any vaccine will just be a Big Pharma scam.
  • The outbreak was “planned” at a 2019 event organized by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
  • The “deep state” is feeding Donald Trump misinformation.
  • The World Health Organization is conducting “medical tyranny” by telling countries how they ought to respond.
  • Our government has deployed the military for a soon-to-happen war against our national enemies.

How is it possible that, during a pandemic, Howard-Browne was the most dangerous threat to his congregation?

1. He must have been recording Trump … and making notes.

Comment by Nan — March 25, 2020 @ 12:53

• Hello Nan. Yes, neither met a conspiracy they did not believe and endorse. I can’t understand those who love conspiracy theories. A little thinking, using reason and they all fall apart. But the less evidence for them seems to make them stronger in the view of these people. Again I am at a loss. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 25, 2020 @ 13:57

2. Scottie, you know I have written before that I am a Christian, but do not condone a teaching of exclusivity and using the bible as a weapon to divide, forgetting its overarching teaching. I also know many ministers from my charity work, consulting work and by reading the papers and watching the news. I have met the finest of people as ministers, but like people, all ministers cannot be painted with that brush. I have seen great community stewardship and reach out and I have seen greed and bigotry on the flip side.

Let me say this frankly, just because someone is a minister does not mean they are not full of crap. Piety does not forgive bigotry, greed or supporting an untruthful person who happens to be president. Leaders must seek the truth. They must be our better angels. When they are not, it is a betrayal of the faith we have in them. In the case you are noting, these folks have put people at risk. This is an echo effect of lying from the president. People either don’t know or don’t want to fathom that their tribal leader is being untruthful.

Sadly, it brings me no joy to not believe a word the US president says. Keith

Comment by Keith — March 26, 2020 @ 09:52

• Hello Keith. What you say is true. It is religious leaders such as these that makes a mockery of the message of love promoted by others. I think I have explained this before but I will add it here. I have no problem with anyone having a personal faith and a code of conduct for life. If you believe in a deith or do not is not my business and I don’t care. However if you try to force others to follow your personal deity, use your religion to bash others, use your holy books to deny equal rights to others, if you try to put your church doctrines into secular laws then I have a huge issue with you and your religion. Faith is personal and I support people of faith. Religion is a business designed to move money from the base masses to the elite leaders at the top.

I often told my religious friends in the past I will support your right to have your faith, but I will fight your demand to make me live by it.

Many people get comfort from their faith. That is OK. Many people use their faith for community support. Many people use their faith to do good things. I have no issue with that and thank those that do this needed helping others. There is a fellow blogger you may enjoy. Like you he is a progressive Christian who also is involved with working with the homeless. https://endsandbeginningsblog.wordpress.com/ Here is a recent post of his dealing with the subject. https://endsandbeginningsblog.wordpress.com/2020/03/18/care-compassion-and-empathy/ Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 27, 2020 @ 05:43

• Thanks Scottie. This is well said. Either you or Jill linked me to endsandbeginnings last week or so. He is very informative and reasonable in his writings. I started to write this about the list of the minister’s untruths noted in your post. The untruths are inconsistent with each other. Is it a hoax or is created by the Chinese? It is like with Obama in 2008, is he a Muslim or do you not like the teachings of the minister of the Christian church he attends? Which untruth do you believe? Is he a Christian or a Muslim? It cannot be both.

Comment by Keith — March 27, 2020 @ 08:14

• Hello Keith. Very true. I am watching a news show that has clips of tRump. Has his supporters noticed that he is always the best, done the most, no one has ever done more, there was never anything this big, this bad, basically everything he does is historic and a salvation because only he could do this. When he was saying no one ever faced this situation before and how great he had done I was thinking of the civil war, the world wars, the great depression, and all the other crisis we got through without him. But his cult followers can not see this. The host of the show just said that when tRump creates a talking point he tires to make it true by force of will by repeating it everywhere all the time. The more he repeats it the more true he convinces himself it is reality. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 27, 2020 @ 10:01

• Well said, Scottie. AND … that host nailed it!

Comment by Nan — March 27, 2020 @ 12:34

• Hello Nan. Thank you. It was either David Pakman or Chris Hayes. I can’t help myself, I love news. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 27, 2020 @ 12:48

• Thanks Scottie. That is Trump schtick, to repeat things over and over and over again. What I cannot fathom is if these followers met a less famous Donald Trump many years ago and he did that “I am the greatest, best, smartest….” routine, they would walk away saying that guy is full of crap. To me it is as obvious as the nose on my face that he remains full of it. Just as a recent example, he is has done his darnedest to convince people he never downplayed the coronavirus, when he did so until the end of February. Sadly, many of his followers believed him, risked exposure and got sick. Keith

Comment by Keith — March 27, 2020 @ 16:17

• Hello Keith. The thing is most of his followers should be able to see that what is happening around them doesn’t fit with what trump is saying. So how do they reconcile this disconnect in reality? When their family members lose healthcare, when those family members also get Covid-19, if their community has gotten worse economically when tRump claims they are doing better than ever, how do they not have the light bulb come on that he is lying.
              Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 28, 2020 @ 16:11

• Questions for the ages, Scottie. I wonder how future generations will look at these robotic followers?

Comment by Nan — March 28, 2020 @ 16:18

• Hello Nan. I doubt history will look at any of this time and the people involved with much grace. I doubt we can ever recover in history’s eyes from kids in cages. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 29, 2020 @ 07:25

• Scottie, Nan, I just posted this comment on Jill’s blog. The line we must use when we see incredulous Facebook posts or hear fabricated conspiracy theories (like Bill Gates concocted COVID-19 to make money), or the simple echoing of misinformation or disinformation by the president, is “I would encourage you to listen to the truthtellers.” When asked, you can mention the doctors and scientists. If asked to elaborate further, you can say “Listen to the people not patting themselves on the back telling what a great job they are doing.”

An editorial writer today asked people to back away from the keyboards if they perpetuate unsubstantiated conspiracy theories. I sent a variation of the above to the Letters to the Editor. I hope they print it. Keith

Comment by Keith — March 29, 2020 @ 10:14

• Hello Keith. I hope later to get to Jill’s blog. It has been days since I have been to anyone’s blogs. Thanks for the heads up. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 29, 2020 @ 10:53