March 25, 2020

Don Quixote

Filed under: Economics, Health, Music and Videos, News, Song, Things I like — Scottie @ 13:30

Guess my mood?  This too will pass.    Hugs

1. I saw Gordon Lightfoot at Acadia University in 1972. Then again in 2010. Let me tell you, the audience had changed! It was all grey-haired people. . . :). He’s still performing and is in his 80’s. Just a great musician. 🙂

Comment by Carmen — March 25, 2020 @ 13:49

• Hello Carmen. Thank you for telling me this. I love his music. I thought he had given it up. I have never been to a concert. I know hard to believe for one my age, but it never presented itself. As much as I love stand up comedy I never went to comedy club either. Something I have regretted. After this virus thing is over I plan to fix that.

Do you have favorite Lightfoot songs for certain moods? I am skipping around, having trouble concentrating and my mood is all over the place and not good.

How is teaching the grandkids going? I hope all are being well and staying safe. It must be both a joy to be with Grandma and yet she is now the teacher, ouch. How is Grandma dealing? I bet there was plenty of grand baked snacks to help.
      Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 25, 2020 @ 14:07

• Hi Scottie, the ‘Nannie as teacher’ idea went out the window before the end of March Break. Our Premier and the Chief Medical officer for the Province have been doing daily briefings since March 15th, the day we learned of our first case here. As well, our PM has been making daily briefings to inform people about the seriousness of this virus. So far, all of the reported cases have been connected to travel – that is, we’ve no reported ‘community’ cases thus far. Our Premier has basically told the population to stay home, except for essential services. You can imagine the financial impact that will have on a very small province like ours, with a high proportion being seniors. Since we have a daughter-in-law who’s a Public Health nurse, she’s very concerned that we stay protected, which means isolation. We haven’t minded it! We both have lots to do and I’m still walking every day; we ‘speak’ to our daughter in Australia usually twice a day. .. she’s working from home and trying to think of things for the two granddaughters to do. 🙂
        If you want to improve your mood, I suggest Nova Scotia Kitchen Party (Covid 19 Edition) on Facebook — terrific Nova Scotia artists who are spreading the ‘we’re all in this together!’ Message and singing their hearts out. I can’t stay off it! :). I’ve heard several of my old friends on there, too.

Comment by Carmen — March 25, 2020 @ 14:45

• Hello Carmen. You guys are doing wonderful and are taking this seriously. We still have people thinking it is an over hyped hoax. Ron and I are really worried. Be safe. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 31, 2020 @ 12:52

• Hi Scottie, I wrote you a long, explanatory comment but it disappeared – that’s happened before. So I’ll make a few short comments.
        I am not minding the grandchildren as our Premier has advised that we all stay home as much as possible. Our first case in the province was announced on March 15th and things have tightened since then. Only essential services are still working, and they have strict guidelines in place. Our Premier also declared an Emergency last Sunday, so that the RCMP would have powers to fine people who disregarded what they’ve been told . .. and our political officials are taking what the Chief Medical officers are having to say seriously. In fact, all news conferences – provincial and federal – defer to the experts. Since we have a daughter-in-law who is a Public Health nurse, she has our safety as paramount. Which means we don’t see much of the grandchildren – well, out the window visits are still possible. 🙂

Comment by Carmen — March 25, 2020 @ 15:06

• Hello Carmen. Grand! Sorry if I seem heartless for your not being able to see your grandchildren, but that is the very correct procedures to follow right now. I wish the US had as much thought and spine as your leaders. I had to go out today even though I did not want to because I had a medication that I needed to pick up. I went in and got it, but in the time it took me to do it another person there started spouting nonsense heard on a far right or Christian channel. After I spoke up and corrected him, he got right up to me and I had to motion for him to move back. Far too many people around here are not taking this seriously. I again advised the check out clerk that wipes for the keypad would be nice and she told me they couldn’t get them. She sprayed and wiped it every 15 minutes as she could she said. Then again I just responded to Dylan who is in California on his blog where he was saying if you were under 65 you did not need to worry about this virus. That is totally not ture. Young people are dying as well. The misinformation and lies of tRump and the right tRump loving media are going to get a lot of people killed. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 25, 2020 @ 15:36

• Such a difference! I went out to the pharmacy on Monday. Big sign up in the door explaining to people that they MUST use the hand sanitizer station before entering the store. Went directly to the back, where the dispensary is. I was the only person in the store, except for the men who were erecting plexiglass dividers at the cash. She asked my name, plucked the script out of the drawer (they’ll only give you one for 30 days, to preserve stock) with two fingers, handed it to me and said, “You have to pay for it up front”. All the pharmacists were behind large plexiglass dividers. When I went up front, there was a yellow line on the floor which said, “Please do not cross” and my friend (who works at the pharmacy) passed the debit machine (we have been encouraged NOT to use cash) out and I plugged it in and did my business. All in all, I was in the pharmacy less than 5 minutes.
            I was speaking with my uncle this morning, who said he went to another town to get his prescription filled. That pharmacy was locked and you had to knock. Someone let him in – they are only letting in one at a time – and he did his business. He then went up the road to the liquor store (his favourite store) and said they were only letting in 4 at a time and there were plexiglass dividers at both places of business. My husband was at the car parts place yesterday and said that there were only two people let in at a time (we have a directive here about not congregating in groups over 5 people, and then you have to be 6 ft. apart) and that all the shelves were roped off. You had to ask for what you wanted, pay by card, and leave. No one is encouraged to socialize. The Premier keeps assuring us we are all in this together and that it’s working. 🙂

Comment by Carmen — March 25, 2020 @ 15:56

• Hello Carmen. Thank you for the information. They are putting plexiglass shields up for the cahiers here also. Hey I was asked by someone else about their comment. When I looked a bunch of comments went to spam, including a bunch of yours. Sorry I had no idea. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 31, 2020 @ 12:50

• I think I know what’s happening now. Any long comments go directly to spam. I’ll alert you next time, now that I know it was not something I was doing (as I am so techno-deficient!).

Comment by Carmen — March 31, 2020 @ 13:28

• Hello Carmen. I am glad Randy mentioned it to me. Yes please do let me know, there were about five comments form you there. I am not sure length had anything to do with it and there was not a bunch of links which will trigger it. I love the comments. Also I am glad to see your area is taking this seriously. There are still people here who refuse to do so. So I am confused, do you have your grandkids with you? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 31, 2020 @ 13:42

• No,the idea was nixed by our our daughter-in-law who wants up protected as much as possible. For a few days they stayed with the other family so that made all six under one roof but it was a bit much. So now they have a live-in babysitter (she’s much younger!) and we see them through the patio door. ..ha, ha. . . They’ve found out they’re out of school at least until May 1.

Comment by Carmen — March 31, 2020 @ 13:48

• Hello Carmen. I like that your daughter in law has your health at heart, but I can understand you miss them. I seen a cartoon of two grandparents saying it had been weeks since they had seen the kids, so they must really love them because they were staying away. What happens to the school year? Will all kids have to repeat the grade they are at? I think here they are doing as much internet classrooming as possible and over the internet teaching. Not sure how good that is. Anyway, best wishes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 31, 2020 @ 14:31

• The Premier, in his address yesterday, assured the students they would be grading/graduating. In the case of Gr. 12 students, there is a bit of a concern about their semester courses. They had barely started second semester. He has assured them, especially, that there is a package in the works to make sure they do graduate and go on with their admissions to college/university. The promise has been made as to online learning/courses but it’s still being worked out. Meanwhile, our grandchildren are doing online activities that their parents set up for them, and are really having a good time being home. 🙂

As I said to hubby last night, “I miss ’em but I don’t miss the mess they make!” I’ve just scrubbed my floor for the first time in a month; previous to this it’s been a job that needed to be done every 3 days, with the the kids in here dropping all manner of sticky things. 😉

Comment by Carmen — March 31, 2020 @ 14:39

• Well, that’s weird. I just got a notification that I had commented and I don’t see my moniker. WordPress gremlins. .cackle, cackle. . .

Comment by Carmen — March 31, 2020 @ 15:21

• Hello Carmen,let me check and see if the gremlins sent it to spam. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 31, 2020 @ 16:22

• Hello Carmen. I went back several hours and there is nothing in the spam folder from you. The WordPress demons are having a happy work day on the internet today. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 31, 2020 @ 16:29

• Hello Carmen. While I doubt I can do online learning today, I think most children of today can do very well with online schooling. I would love to see some studies on this. See I think this is how the world is going, less person to person work and much more from home work and schooling. Already we do a lot of government stuff online. We do our taxes online, we register our cars online, we apply for stuff online. More and more of our shopping is done online. I think manufacturing that will still require people will have job sharing and people wont work more than 20 hours a week. The rest of their time will be spent doing the things out of work they love. Having been unable to work for years, trying hard to go back to work only to have my body fail after 4 years, and then being at home ever since I have learned to be very happy and productive with my time. I have limitations to work around, but I have a blog I love and people online I cherish. Some people will garden, or hike, other will paint or write in their free time. That was the world of the future automation and robots promised humans. I think it also will help with other issues in our modern world. What do you think? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 31, 2020 @ 15:36

• I agree, Scottie. I think that education will be re-thought if these kids are home long enough to get used to online learning. But the problem with that is that many parents rely on school for babysitting. True fact. This pandemic is illustrating the fact that our ‘global’ society has yes, opened doors to others’ cultures, etc. But also to their germs. They move more freely now. I think it will teach many lessons.

Comment by Carmen — March 31, 2020 @ 15:43

• Hello Carmen. Good points. I was just wondering at one very important thing schools do at least in the early grades is to teach socialization. Can other methods be used to teach that? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 31, 2020 @ 16:54

• Obviously that will be the component that will go out the window during this pandemic . . But homeschoolers have been thinking of ways to address this for years through social groups outside of school; after we all get out of self-isolation I’m sure they’ll be more important than ever.

Comment by Carmen — March 31, 2020 @ 17:20

• You may be right about the long comments, Carmen. The two I recently found were from regular contributors but they did have a lot to say. Guess I’ll have to check more frequently because some do tend to get a bit long-winded. 😉

Comment by Nan — March 31, 2020 @ 14:06

• Hello Nan. Long winded? Sounds like someone I know … oh yes that is me! 😀😃😄😋😎😎😍 I would say I love the sound of my own voice but this is the written word. Maybe I like the sound of my typing? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 31, 2020 @ 14:36

2. Also, if you’re on Facebook and want to improve your mood, I’d suggest you join Nova Scotia Kitchen Party – Covid 19 Edition. There are some fabulous musicians on there and a few of my friends. In the Premier’s latest News Conference he thanked the people of Nova Scotia who are part of the “Caremongering Force” online, trying to get the message across that we are all in this together. He even grinned when he said it, and he’s a very serious guy! 🙂

Comment by Carmen — March 25, 2020 @ 15:12

• Hello Carmen. That sounds wonderful, but I am not on facebook. A long time ago I signed up with my nom de plume Scottiestoybox simply to keep anyone else from using it. After my blog got going three other people created Scotty toy box in different forms and I did not want anyone doing that on Facebook. So I have an account but it is “deactive”.

However Carmen there is one thing you could do for me, just when you have spare time to kill ( opps bad choice of words ) is to send me recipes of breads. I had three bread makers I loved and produced the lightest sweetest bread I ever tasted. After the last one died I waited about ten years and bought another one. A different make. The bread it made was horrible. No matter how I adjusted it it came out bad. So we put it away in the bottom of the pantry where I doubt it will see the light of day again.

But I bought Ron a Kitchenaid pro mixer, a huge beast with all the attachments. We have been talking about how to use it. I bought it for him a year ago and it has sat on the counter never used. It was what he wanted, and has talked about for years.

When I asked why he was not using it he admitted he doesn’t have recipes that call for it. So if you have some breads or other recipes I can use it for and then show Ron that would be grand. Again only when you have free time. I hate the idea that something that expensive and something he has talked about for so many years has just sitting there. I would make pizza dough or breads or whatever recipes you want to share. Thanks again. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 25, 2020 @ 16:14

• Nowadays I always google recipes, Scottie – you’ll find that people comment on most of them and it’s very helpful. Also there should have been a cookbook with your mixer. .they usually have good recipes, suited to the appliance. 🙂

Comment by Carmen — March 25, 2020 @ 17:21

• Hello Carmen. Thank you , I will look them up. But if you do find you have favorite baking recipes, feel free to sending to me. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 25, 2020 @ 17:34

3. Scottie, I just posted on the latest blog about our love for Lightfoot’s music. True story. We went to see him when he came to town, as we had thought he had died. So, we felt we must go see him now. His storytelling between songs was as enjoyable as the music. He is indeed a troubadour. Keith

Comment by Keith — March 26, 2020 @ 09:39

• Hello Keith. That is grand that you got to see him. I will try to check out your post later today. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 27, 2020 @ 05:18