March 25, 2020

OK how is this for serious

I normally get Ron up at 5PM so he can get ready for work and have a bite to eat.   I had his phone with me for updating and such.  At 4:45 PM his phone rang and it was his unit director.  So I answered it.  I have always liked her and she has seemed to like me.  We had a few minutes of pleasantries and then she asked if Ron was up.  I explained to her I did not wake him until 5 but if she wanted I could go get him up now.   She apologized but said it was important.

Long story short it was important.   This virus is getting more serious by the minute.   She was calling to say that Ron and some others in his age group could chose not come to work with no penalties because they were now moved to extreme high risk.  Ron simply did not have to come to work because it was too dangerous.

There was a catch though.  Ron could stay out of work but he would have to use his own earned personal time to keep getting paid and the company in figuring the pay  deducted his night time differential pay, and then only paid out 80% of what would have been his then daytime pay rate.   Basically Ron would be paid half his normal hourly pay rate, which is what happens every time he takes any leave.  It should be criminal.  That is why he works nights in the first place.     He earns it at one rate, but to use it they cut it in half and he still has to pay the same taxes and other stuff on it.   We get screwed all the time if he uses his earned time which is why he has so much.   Which right now having a lot maybe a good thing, even if we can not live on it.

So the point is they are offering people Ron’s age the choice of simply not coming to work.   Not reassignment, not other accommodations, simply not to come to work or come to work.  Come to work and get paid normal rate but be exposed to the virus, don’t come to work and get paid a third rate until your earned time runs out.   The very earned time he will need if he gets sick.  So Ron said thank you but he is going to keep working.  What else can he do.   We are on the lower economic rung, we have very few choices.   Hugs

1. It just goes from bad to worse for you guys, doesn’t it? Is Ron okay? It’s hard enough living on two incomes now but criminal when they give you a choice like this one! How can they get away with it? And you don’t even have to answer that because I know the answer! Age discrimination in an effort to hire someone younger at a lower pay rate! Aarrggh! I hope we can get some leaders in this country with backbones and the ability to work for the people instead of making themselves wealthy at the expense of the people who trusted them enough to vote for them!

Comment by kentuckyangel24 — March 25, 2020 @ 20:05

• Hello kentuckyangel24. Both Ron and I are high risk concerning the virus. If we get it we stand a higher chance of dying than most people. Ron is doing well for his age and his medical problems. Ron is a real good guy who keeps going. He has had a heart attack, a stroke, he has a thyroid problem, he has Sjögren’s syndrome, and he has M.S along with diabetes.
      With all that he is still in better shape than I am. He wants to retire. He is working nights as that is a huge pay increase yet at 65 years old he is simply tired. He cannot retire for two years and even then he plans to keep working at least 20 hours a week to keep our medical coverage and do odd jobs. I wish it was not this way but with the economics as they are we are barely doing OK now, a pay cut of his retiring would be devastating. Thank you for asking. How are you doing in the home? Have you made your escape plans? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 26, 2020 @ 12:16

• Well, the dietician just left.. They are trying to figure out why im not eating their food! We had a good long talk and I was able to tell them it’s not the fault of anyone working here. It’s just all that powdered stuff they are sent along with fact that they have to serve so many people with diet restrictions and no chef in the world could do much with those things thrown in. Since I already lost ten pounds I think soon I’ll be able to just slide under the door without setting off the alarm!

I don’t have as many problems as you or Ron but I do have MS and type two diabetes. I’ve loved with MS since eleven years old but not dx’d until I was in my fifties. Tell in the street one night in front of an eighteen wheeler! Managed to roll under my car but it took that to get my doctors attention! Have some serious swallowing problems a few pack and lost a hundred pounds which took care of the diabetes but turned it around to where I’ve become hypoglycemic now. I know as lot of people who are so much worse off though, and having lived with MS for 66 years most things don’t bother me much.

One of my brothers has Chromed disease and my tablet just changed it to chromed but too tired today to change it. He has a wonderful husband who is younger and healthier and who meant it when he said for better or worse, in sickness and in health! He needs a liver transplant but is too old now to survive the surgery! He had to fight to get his husband put on his health insurance, but then what can you expect from the Air Force? He was career AF but never promoted higher than captain! We live in a crazy old world now but I’ll bet folks have been thinking it can’t get worse for centuries!

And life just got better for me! My son sent me some lasagna! And as I was opening it a gentleman from the business office came in to tell me Medicare will cover my stay only until Sunday! Hopefully they will get the discharge papers ready before that, but I’ll be home by Sunday!

Praying for you and Ron. Sure wish you both felt better and hoping5f¿

Comment by kentuckyangel24 — March 26, 2020 @ 17:38

• Hello kentuckyangel24. Grand both for your son and for you going home. Can you walk well enough to be home? When I am this bad I use my walker with the seat to carry things like plates and bowls of food. Crohn’s disease is serious and it can be deadly. Ron had a nephew with it. Went from a vibrant surfer boy to a shell of himself by 22. He died by the time he was 25 or 26, he just couldn’t take it anymore and committed suicide. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 27, 2020 @ 06:26

• he just couldn’t take it anymore — That’s scary because I have a granddaughter who has it. However, by all indications (via Facebook since she lives in Texas), she seems to be doing fine. Plus I saw her a year ago last summer and she was very upbeat. Of course, one never knows what people in pain and discomfort are hiding, but I’m going to think positive.

Comment by Nan — March 27, 2020 @ 12:30

• Hello Nan. Yes to all. The main treatment remicade (infliximab) was not working for him. He was in alot of pain, had to keep having surgeries, and it led to mental health issues. He couldn’t work, do things he enjoyed, and he was very unhappy. I don’t think anyone realized how bad he was or how fragile his emotional state had become.

My best wishes for your granddaughter. With you in the family I know she has a good support network and people she can rely on. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 27, 2020 @ 12:45

• Oh poor Ron. I’m so sorry to see this. I know firsthand how devastating suicide can be. My grandson hanged himself 5 years ago. No note but we heard it had something to do with a girl who broke up with him.
            I have heard that many people with Crohn’s don’t live to be older. Steve however is 75 now. I’m not sure if living this long is a blessing or a curse.
            My son brought me his walker from when he was in a farm accident that sent a sliver of his pelvic bone to his sciatic nerve.
            I can tell by my yawning that it’s time to settle back and try to sleep. G’night for now. Hugs to both of you

Comment by kentuckyangel24 — March 29, 2020 @ 01:51

• Hello kentuckyangel24. I am sorry for your families loss. Ron’s sister is plagued by the wonder if she could have done any more for her son. even though she really did everything anyone could. Sleep well, you need sleep to heal. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 29, 2020 @ 09:30

• I guess we all spend a ;pt pf time wondering if there was something, we could have done to prevent it. The sad truth is that the person feels there is no other way out except that and I think in most cases they might change their minds and try to stop the process after the initial act. Once in a while they are able to make it back, but in cases like my grandson, once he stepped off that bucket he couldn’t get free. Thankfully the Catholic church now views suicide as an illness and allows them to be buried with a church service. At one time this was not allowed and the church was not very comforting to families already devastated by losing a child. Hugs to both with a special one for Ron and his sister. my email is anginoboro@gmail.com. Feel free to give it to her if she wants to talk to someone else who will never get over this special kind of grief.

Comment by kentuckyangel24 — March 29, 2020 @ 12:41

2. I dunno, Scottie. I’m not so sure I agree with his/your decision. Certainly money is a definite concern, but so is death from a virus that takes no prisoners.

What would either of you do without the other?

Comment by Nan — March 25, 2020 @ 20:06

• Hello Nan. Thank you. It is a hard decision. I just read the number of deaths in the US from the virus is over 1,000. However where we live things are expensive and we can not afford to move. We need to be able to pay our bills and to afford food. If Ron wanted to cut his hours or do something else I would support it, but it will be hard economically. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 26, 2020 @ 12:20

• You recently bought a new chair … and I think not too long back, you got some new computer stuff, right? If these purchases were on a credit card, I’ve read that some companies are waiving interest and fees so that’s something to think about.

I can’t help it, Scottie. I seriously and sincerely think you guys made the wrong decision. But it’s your life …

Comment by Nan — March 26, 2020 @ 12:26

• Hello Nan. I thank you for your concern, it is really grand. I am lucky to have so many people caring about me.

Ron and I did not put that stuff on a credit card. We try to never put anything on the card, instead we wait until we have saved the money for what we want. The cards we are saving for an emergency like hurricanes or such.

I understand Nan and trust me I would like to rush right in to get more relief. When they called me to give me the results of the imaging I asked about increasing the medications. I got told not right now but not told why. I suspect that because they had just upped my morphine a couple days earlier they wanted or were forced to wait by state law to see if the current medication levels would cover it. Also I needed to see if it was going to lessen or get better on its own. They will ask me if it has gotten better, worse, or stayed the same. Trust me this is no fun, in fact yesterday the pain was so bad it was upsetting my stomach. But I will either call them today or on Monday for an appointment. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 27, 2020 @ 07:21

3. People in authority seem to forget that in a crisis people still need to eat and live. It is true that in a life and death crisis money doesn’t matter but only extra money, the money to survive is still essential. And the money to not destroy your future is vital. It is just not realistic for people to expect workers to make choices like yours. My support workers are having to make that choice although if clients want to isolate they are just instantly unemployed. Having said that the Australian government are throwing money at people who are financially vulnerable, in a good way, it is definitely helping. Keep well, positive mental health can have a really good effect on resilience and overall health. Hugs to you.

Comment by autistsix — March 25, 2020 @ 21:59

• Hello autistsix. Thank you. What you say is so true, but the well off don’t realize that the poor have no choice. India just locked the country down for about three weeks with no concern how poor people would survive, with police beating and humiliated any poor people they found out.
      The LT Governor of Texas says he would take a chance on the getting the virus if it keeps the stock market strong. He says that old people understand the need for their sacrifice. What people don’t understand is he wont be affected by this. He is wealthy and connected. He won’t have to worry about if he gets sick. The others he is willing to send to their deaths will get ill and die. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 26, 2020 @ 13:26