March 27, 2020

An update for my leg pain problem

Filed under: Drugs, Health, My Life and Rants, Questions, Reason, Science — Scottie @ 15:52

Many people have been pushing me to contact my pain doctor over this really bad pain that has developed in my right leg since my fall.   I had a video call with my provider.   It is a system they hastily set up to work with / diagnose patients with out them having to come into the medical offices.    I like it, once they get the bugs worked out of it.   The call I had was all broken up and choppy video, but it worked well enough for our needs.    She thinks I jared or twisted my spine at the L4.  She is hopeful I did not blow out the disc.   She scheduled me with the doctor who does the shots for Monday morning at 9:30.  I guess from what I could make out there is a new system to handle PTs because of the virus, plus the state of Florida was trying to impose new rules on the pain providers that again are not required of other medical doctors offices.   It is like how Republican states are trying to get rid of abortion by putting all these rules on them that only abortion doctors / clinics have to follow.

My provider Brenda apologised to me that she couldn’t bring me in right then and asked if I would be OK for the weekend.   I said I would make it.  She reminded me I had this happen before and it was the same problem and the same spot and I had not been able to walk for three weeks when I finally called them.   I remember having the problem but not how long nor what they had done to fix it.   So she is hoping that will do the trick  again.  If not they will increase my pain medications.   They do not increase or refill medications on Friday, I had forgotten that.  Again she apologized that she couldn’t do that for me.  I think it maybe the MD’s don’t work Fridays and she is a well qualified ARNP  with a doctorate degree but the state of Florida doesn’t let her sign for my morphine, which means she couldn’t increase it nor give me break through instant relief morphine.

So to everyone who wanted me to call earlier yes I might have been able to get my shots earlier or gotten pain medications to help but I will make it through this.  I always do.   Remember that which cannot be changed must be endured.    Thanks again to everyone.   Hugs

1. Good to read, Scottie! I’m thinking of you. .. 🙂

Comment by Carmen — March 27, 2020 @ 16:05

• Hello Carmen. Thank you. This too shall pass. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 27, 2020 @ 17:08

2. Hello Scottie,

I wasn’t aware you had this unfortunate health condition, hopefully everything goes well.

Prayers that your pain is only temporary,

-Dylan

Comment by Dylan Shetler — March 27, 2020 @ 22:25

• Hello Dylan. Thank you. I try not to let my condition interfere with what I love to do but it is very limiting in some aspects. Unfortunately it is not temporary but a lifelong condition I will deal with for all my life. However I have always said I am luckier than many people, my condition can not kill me it can only make me miserable. I have a good home to live in, plenty of food to eat, a wonderful husband to take care of me who gives me any support or assistance I need, a wonderful network of doctors to take care of my medical needs, and I have both insurance and the ability to pay for my insurance and medications. So again I am one of the lucky people in the US.

I will be happy to explain in as much detail as you wish my condition and the causes of it. It is in different areas of my blog but as you are relatively new to my Toy Box you may not have come across those places. I try not to burden people with the failures of my body unless they are really interested. Again I have had a interesting and I think grand life. I have been in the US Navy, the US Army, an auxiliary sheriff’s deputy, a private investigator, an armed nuclear security agent, I have owned several companies, I have traveled well. In the military I had high level clearances, belonged to different satellite communications assignments inside intelligence units, and did both special operations and worked for the DCIC of Europe. I even had to instruct the Secret Service in how to use some of the highest level crypto units. That was really interesting. I had a diplomatic passport and went many places doing what others couldn’t do. This is part of my history and why I do not regret my handicap now so much, I have lived a good life. And I still do. Case in point I have had a chance to meet people like you online.

My point is not to brag nor to wallow in sympathy. Like everyone I have had really great times in my life, some really bad times, and like everyone most of my life is spent in between those two points.

Thanks again Dylan. Should you wish more information just let me know. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 28, 2020 @ 17:58

3. I am so sorry you have to wait but happy that they can do something on Monday! I’ll be thinking about you from my home! Going home tomorrow! You might have to remind me later that I totally wanted this! I might be sorry later when get tired and begin hurting! Hugs

Comment by kentuckyangel24 — March 27, 2020 @ 22:27

• Hello kentuckyangel24. I am so happy and excited for you. While it may be frustrating and even painful being in your own home it has to be better than in a nursing home. You will have your things, your privacy, your own bed, and your own bathroom. That is grand. But please keep up with home health, and if you start to have trouble reach out to all the agencies. I have just met you online and do not want to lose you now! You may leave all comments here on the blog or drop me emails as you want, just let me know when you do as I miss most of my emails. Oh my email address is Scottiestoybox@gmail.com. Again please be careful, take your time, Hang on friends and online people. You are a friend in need and we always try to be always there for friends. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 28, 2020 @ 18:59

• Not sure if my first reply flew or not. I’m down in the laundry washing kitchen towels. Not a clean one in my place at all. One friend came in keeping the recommended distance but then another lady who is mentally challenged came in and just kept coming while telling me how sick she has been.. I waved her off so she wouldn’t get all the way in the room so she stood in doorway still talking. Feel sorry for her but don’t want to be close right now. First message disappeared so not sure if I hit send too early or erased it by accident.
        You are so sweet to be concerned about me when you are in so much pain yourself. I’ve spent most of the day napping. One friend stopped by for a few minutes and picked up the tray of lids I had just knocked over.
        And tornado sirens are now going off so I’m going to head for shélter. Hugs

Comment by kentuckyangel24 — March 29, 2020 @ 00:54

• Hello kentuckyangel24. Wow tornado warnings also. You can not get a rest. I am glad you are home but please do not put yourself in danger. The world needs you. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 29, 2020 @ 09:20

• Not to worry Scottie. My building took a direct hit from an F4 tornado 20 years ago and the only damage was imploding windows. It is built of reinforced concrete and steel sunk deep in the ground to also stablize it during earthquakes. And I actually got some really good hours of sleep. Hugs!

Comment by kentuckyangel24 — March 29, 2020 @ 12:44

• Oh kentuckyangel24. Thank you for the hugs. I started signing off with that, offering everyone hugs at the end of a comment, reply , or post in 2007 after a young gay teen who did that fell silent after an illness. The outcry from the many who were touched by this person made it clear there was a need for a person such as this who claimed to be a teen who preached love and acceptance and the struggles gay teens have in society then in the place he lived. I think it was Amsterdam. Any way after the blog went silent there were those that attacked both me and the blog saying it was not a real teenager but an adult pretending to be a teen. I always said it doesn’t matter. It really did not matter. The blog never advocated anything that would have harmed any child or teen. It was wholesome and positive for young gay kids. The reason why the blog made a difference is because the world needed to hear how hard it was even in an open and happy culture such as Amar lived in. His family , especially his father accepted him and loved him. It was a voice needed to be heard at that time when such hate and anger were given out to anyone who was gay. So when his hugs were silenced, I began adding my own. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 28, 2020 @ 19:45

• I love hugs Scottie! One of the special young men I knew years ago while dying of AIDS told me that the reason hugs feel so good is because two hearts are never closer than when two people hug. I’ve always loved that statement and shared it with a few people.
        By the way, my name is Angela.

Comment by kentuckyangel24 — March 28, 2020 @ 20:51

• Ah, part of this did get thru. At the point I left off above the room began filling up with people welcoming me back home and/or asking where I had been ;
          To finish that one, again, my name is Angela and I am definitely not an angel, but it just seemed like a good handle for the blog. So I’ve also been Kentucky Angel, Kentucky Angel 3 , –4, –5, 9l 10 and now 24. I guess other people here in KY like it also because all the other numbers had been taken.

Lots of Kentucky hugs!
          Angela

Comment by kentuckyangel24 — March 29, 2020 @ 12:56

4. Positive attitude and distraction can help with pain, just while you are waiting. Looking at pictures of natural beauty can actually help (I know it sounds unlikely but its worked for me).
    Too many people do not understand the exhaustion, and the debilitating effect of pain. Pain may be valuable to avoid further injury etc but after that warning it becomes a problem in itself. Yet pain management is not prioritised.
    Just trying to say, this is not fair, you should not be in pain for one second longer, & I sympathise not only with your pain but with the injustice, not directed at healthcare workers but at the bureaucratic red tape.
    Feel better.

Comment by autistsix — March 27, 2020 @ 23:39

5. Best wishes Scottie. Take care my friend. Keith

Comment by Keith — March 28, 2020 @ 15:32

• Hello Keith. Thank you. Tomorrow should help. Also I will be asking for a breakthrough pain medication. We will see if I can get more time on the computer, then it will have worked Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 29, 2020 @ 07:19