March 28, 2020

Today’s real superheroes

Filed under: Cartoons, Education, Family, Health, Love, Memes, News, Reason, Science — Scottie @ 06:02

(cartoon by Gary Varvel)

1. Hi Scottie;
    I just read the post above this one about Ron going to work. And, then to see this cartoon of the Supermen and Superwomen…. Well, I stopped at the store today. I needed just one or two things, but I shop for my neighbor who is elderly. I don’t want her going out in this.
    Hard time buying chicken, of all things. The little bit of toilet paper on the shelves was gone immediately. There are purchasing limits in place. I’m trying to figure out what these people are eating tht they need that much tp?? Is Taco Bell still open?? And I saw a lot of people with gloves on and masks.
    But, more, I just got off work. I’m happy to be out of work, its the end of the week, I have a day off…. and I’m the only one in the store with a smile!?! There are a lot of scared people, my brother.
    But… to the actual point of my comment: The guy running the register is a regular, so we talk often. He suggested that all of us who are working through this should get a month off! I told him that I would sign that petition!

Be healthy, my brother, and everyone here at the Toybox. Be happy, smile, enjoy the day.

Hugs all around!
    randy

Comment by randy — March 28, 2020 @ 09:17

• I feel ya–and that’s why they’re frantically trying to hire more people for the grocery stores around here, even as other businesses go down for a while, because of the volume of peoples and the hours are straining the regular staff.
      Most places are shut down. Technically, my workplace is, too, but because we also have a government background checking service on the premises (which I am qualified to work at), I’m keeping hours going as long as I can. The owner is a little worried about that and wanted to shut that down (we had the option of opting out), but I need the money. More than that, people need these checks done for employment and keeping compliant for their licenses and the like. There are only two locations in about 100 miles providing the service, from what I’ve been told–what are people supposed to do–and their employers–if they can’t get it done.

It’s strange being the only one in the office while everyone else works remotely, but at the same time, plenty to do and people to meet. What little family I have left is either not talking to me or practically strangers or scattered across states, so no in-house human interaction really happens. I can try to cheer people up at work, at least, and keep things clean as possible for others’ comfort.

I really still don’t get the toilet paper thing, though a friend of mine said that they were stopping shipments from China of all kinds of goods and that’s why the run on toilet paper really began in Washington state, because they didn’t know the next time the shipments would come in. I haven’t had a chance to research, but the other reason is that when one decides to panic buy, the other people around them think they missed something important and start doing it, too. Most of them wouldn’t be able to tell you why except everyone else is doing it.

I buy toilet paper once a year from office depot because I get simple single ply you get in office bathrooms that’s also septic safe (and have just enough storage space). A bag or case of 36 or so can easily last me a year for a lot less money.

Comment by TheChattyIntrovert — March 28, 2020 @ 11:48

• Hi ChattyIntrovert;
        I don’t think I’ve ever “chatted” with you on Scotties site before. I read your response earlier and went off to think on it while I tried to figure out how the dog messed up the counters and dirtied so many dishes in the sink. She just gave me the innocent look, a bit hopeful that I’d drop something edible, but basically refused to take any responsibility at all for the mess. Dogs… what are you gonna do?
        I thought about the idea that “people around them think they missed something…”. I think there is a lot of observational wisdom in that. If I were to see a run on a particular item at the store, I’d seriously have to think on it myself. There are a couple things I purchased over the last bit of time that I thought were good ideas, only to see others had the same idea. Pasta and pasta sauce. They don’t go bad, lots of calories, vitamin C, veggies. The two-pack 14-15oz. Eckrich Italian Sausage. Good for months. Easily frozen. Still don’t get toilet paper. I still have running water – I’ll hose myself off in the front lawn if I have to. I’m sure the neighbors won’t mind….?
        What truly truly surprised me: Tyson Warehouse closed. Chicken in short supply. What has this world come to when we run out of chicken?

But, back to my point: That herd mentality is strong. The had decision comes when we have to decide are we wise or foolish to go with the crowd?

Nice to meet you!
        randy

Oh, and Hi to you, too, Scottie. ;D

Comment by randy — March 28, 2020 @ 17:22

• Hello Randy my brother. Is Tyson Warehouse closed? I can not find anything online about it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 29, 2020 @ 08:13

• The laminated page above the chicken aisle in the butcher shop said it was. But you are right, as of now I am unable to find anything on line that talks about it. ??

Comment by randy — March 29, 2020 @ 10:31

• Hello Randy. Well food is not as essential as firearms sales according to the DHS. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 29, 2020 @ 10:55

• Hello Randy. Glad to hear you got a day off. I figured you would be helping others out, you are a wonderful man. I agree with you on the TP, people are not thinking ahead. Of all the things you can not go with out, TP is not on the list. Yes Ron went out for essentials and said they were bringing hamburger out five packages at a time. In a couple weeks we would need to do more than essentials, but right now we are good. Stay safe and well brother. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 29, 2020 @ 06:25

• Hi Scottie;

Just saw this, thought you would like it. I’ll include the link at the end.

Hey anon who wrote me several paragraphs about how it’s wrong to insult the people who are still not staying home:

I feel like you’re young and not watching the news so I’m going to be as patient as possible.

There are people throwing coronavirus parties
        There are people still going on spring break.
        There are people cluttering hiking trails
        There are people in groups at the park across from my house every single day, all day, and this is likely true for most parks in the US
        There are people still going to church
        There are people still visiting their friends and family on a regular basis
        There are people still going to the store for 1 or 2 items that they don’t immediately need
        All over the world there are young people and older people alike shrugging their shoulders and saying “if I get it I get it”
        Most people KNOW BETTER and I’m not here to convince them to give a fuck
        I’m not normally like this, but this is important:

I work with coronavirus patients every single day.

I work with patients who don’t have coronavirus but are dying alone because our hospital currently has a zero-visitors policy.

I work with the same N95 mask over and over when they are designed for single use or at best, no more than a couple of uses. I have not seen my spouse in over a week because they are an immunosuppressed transplant recipient and I am a risk to their life.

I’m sorry if you think the insults directed at people who aren’t staying inside seem insulting to your grandfather. I hope your grandfather stays inside and does not get sick. I hope he eventually understands how serious this is.

But as a general, blanket statement: fuck anyone who thinks the rules don’t apply to them right now. People are DYING and your grandfather’s feelings are going to have to take a backseat.

And ultimately? I’m doing my part to help people, I’m sacrificing a fucking lot, and I don’t need your permission to be angry about any of this.

As I write this, I know people who are unconcerned about all of this. I am really trying to not allow fear to rule my life, yet still be very careful. There’s a certain amount of shoulder shrugging, because what can I do? I have to go to work. We make medical parts. If I’m not there, they don’t get made. I’ve not been closer than 4ft to anyone in a two weeks, and while I don’t have a big problem with that I do wonder the changes this will do to our culture.
        And, like the above poster, every day I get a bit angrier. I am trying to keep my happy face on, but I’m feeling that resentment grow. I’m really angry at tRump for lying about this. I’m really angry at the GOP for allowing him to lie to us all. I’ll hold my expletives. I’m really angry at the fox news types who specialize in lies.
        I do my part! I go to work every day! I pay my taxes! I am supposed to have a government that cares about me too, not just the uber wealthy. Where are those ceo’s while I’m out making medical parts and risking my life, or while Ron is going to work risking his?? They are at home, skyping to meetings.

I don’t know what this illness/pandemic will bring our country, but damn am I getting more and more angry.

hugs.