May 10, 2020

Survey: White Evangelicals See Trump As ‘Honest’ And ‘Morally Upstanding’

Filed under: News, Political, Questions, Reason, Religion, Sex — Scottie @ 08:09

The Pew results also show white evangelical Christians as showing support for a version of Judeo-Christian nationalism. More than 90% say they want their president to stand up not only for religious beliefs in general, but for their religious beliefs in particular, including biblical teaching.

Nine in 10 white evangelicals say they want the Bible to have “at least some influence” on U.S. laws, according to the Pew findings.

“Two-thirds of them go a step further,” notes Greg Smith, the associate director of religion research at Pew. “They say that if and when the Bible conflicts with the will of the American people, the Bible should have more influence on the laws of the land.”

1. I’d love to ask some of these folks “okay, what parts of the bible do you want to override the laws of the land?

I am still trying to read it, and am partway through proverbs. Nothing useful so far.

Comment by TheChattyIntrovert — May 10, 2020 @ 13:50

• Actually, Proverbs probably has the best content of the whole bible. There are some pretty pithy sayings and it zooms in the foibles of human nature now and again. The rest of the book? 🤪

Remember … most of the people who defend the bible have NOT read it and are totally relying on what they hear from the pulpit. And the ones who are behind the pulpit are simply rehashing what they heard from others that stood behind the pulpit. And the beat goes on.

Comment by Nan — May 10, 2020 @ 14:12

• I know–once in a while I’ll catch clips of “The Atheist Experience” on YouTube and one of the most common questions is “why don’t you read the bible, then you’d believe?” Clearly these guys and gals calling in don’t realize these hosts they’re arguing with were totally into Christianity for decades, and actually DID read the Bible, which helped solidify their disbelief in the end. Considering how vocal the hosts are in lectures and how much they’ve told their story, you’d think the callers would’ve done their homework first, but oh well. Some people gotta be masochists, I guess.

As for proverbs, I barely started it. I’m about to go back and read Proverbs from the beginning (was tired and not focused the last couple times I started reading). I just find the Bible annoying and insulting on a lot of levels, and wonder how anyone takes it life-or-death serious. Can’t wait to finish it–then I’ll celebrate by reading “The Brick Bible”. Just a few pages had me cracking up, but I promised myself I’d eat my brussel sprouts before having the strawberry cheesecake.

Comment by TheChattyIntrovert — May 10, 2020 @ 17:08

• Hello TheChattyIntrovert. Most of them never really read or understand the bible. It is too hard. The want what they think the preacher says to be law, because in their mind what ever the leader says must be true, he is the one talking for god, right? The bible is not a book about democracy, the god in that book is an authoritarian and so are churches. No one can contradict the preacher, as god tells him what to say with the holy ghost. Congratulation on reading the bible, I never made it all the way through, I can not stand stupidity and it is a badly written magic book. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 12, 2020 @ 09:46

2. Scottie, I checked “like” on this, but that might be the wrong response. Here are few miscellaneous thoughts:
    – Five biographers have all said Trump has a problem with the truth. But, let’s set that aside.
    – Trump’s attorney and fixer said under oath “Donald Trump is a racist, he is a con artist and he is a cheat.” But, let’s set that aside.
    – Another Trump attorney wrote before the election, “Donald Trump lies everyday, even about things of no consequence.” But, let’s set that aside.
    – Donald Trump settled a lawsuit with the courts for $25 million for false advertising with Trump University and had to repay $2 million to the Trump Foundation before it was disbanded and ordered to pay money to charity, because Trump used it as his own savings account. But, let’s set that aside.
    – Donald Trump has been credibly accused of sexual assault and has bragged on such in the infamous tapes and twice on a radio talk show. That, of course, he said was all locker room talk. But, let’s set that aside.
    – Conservative David Brooks noted that Trump “lacks common decency and empathy.” But, let’s set that aside.

All one needs to do is listen to him ramble on or read his tweets and you can easily confirm what all the data shows, as well as the above; he is the most corrupt and deceitful presidents in my lifetime. So, to my evangelical friends, if this is your paragon, your message is not very strong.

I saw ChattyIntrovert’s comment. A Pew study on religion noted that atheists know the bible better than Christians. And, there is an old saying, if you ever want to create an atheist, have them read the bible. With that said, another Pew survey said 45% of Christians did not believe every word in the bible is true.

As a Christian, we need to look at the overarching messages and, in particular, those words written in red. That Golden Rule thing is in red, e.g. and it is the key takeaway in my limited view.

Keith

Comment by Keith — May 11, 2020 @ 12:05

• Hello Keith. I understand the like button problem. As for listening to tRump that is the part I do not understand. I do not think of my self as overly intelligent, nor do I think all of tRump’s supporters are stupid, but how can they listen to his disjointed ramblings and compare his statements and not see how utterly stupid he is? I get so frustrated when I am forced to listen to him, and I can see clearly what a fraud he is. Why can they not?

Keith on Christianity what you say is true. However as with most movements I think religion becomes just what a person wants it to be, or what they need out of it. I am fine with people finding comfort from their beliefs and recognize everyone has a right to their personal beliefs, but I find that most religious beliefs have little to do with the holy books they are based on. IMO
      Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 12, 2020 @ 12:30

• Scottie, I understand your first paragraph. The president’s lies, misinformation and disinformation are quite obvious. As for your second paragraph, I have an attorney friend who is also a Christian. He has a term that fits your description – cafeteria Christians. They go through the cafeteria line and pick out the parts they want. Keith

Comment by Keith — May 12, 2020 @ 17:13

• Hello Keith. Can I continue this discussion with you a bit? It interest me greatly. I am wondering if the idea of “cafeteria Christians” is a bad thing? I think it is the sign of new religious sects happening / coming into being now as that is how the old ones came to be “real” in the past. People picking what they thought was the truth and pushing that. Or in some cases simply finding a scam that fitted with what they wanted to do.

There are two types of the cafeteria Christians as I see it. The haters and the lovers. The haters are the NIFB and their ilk. They use their favorite parts of the bible to bash and hate, and rally others to hate also. They believe they are following the true word of their god.

Then there are the progressive churches that follow the “loving parts of the bible and feel god is love above all else, accepting everyone. They also feel they are following the true word of their god.

The “loving” churches far out number the “hate” churches as far as my research can determine, yet the hated churches get far more press and followers on media. Could it be that more people like the hateful god message, than a loving god message?

Back to the main question, is it bad that cafeteria Christians are creating new religions? My view is religion offers something the followers need. Maybe fellowship which is interaction with others, being in a group, or just reaffirming your own beliefs. So the more loving churches is a sign of a more progressive country. Of course my desire would be for people to give up the need for religion, but if they have to have one I would prefer the loving kind over the hateful kind. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 14, 2020 @ 16:31

• Scottie, if Cafeteria Christians picked out the overarching good things, then it would be good. The reference is to cherry picking language from the bible to exclude or diminish. Women, gays, lesbians, others… It takes a lot of things out of context to divide, which is not the intention of any religious text. Keith

Comment by Keith — May 15, 2020 @ 08:22

3. Because Evangelicals are so trustworthy and morally upstanding.

Comment by Death of Democracy — May 13, 2020 @ 18:25

• Hello Death of Democracy. They have sure lost any right to the moral high ground haven’t they. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 15, 2020 @ 08:17