May 28, 2020

Baptist Minister and Scholar Writes a Solid Piece on Limits of Religious Liberty

Filed under: History, News, Political, Questions, Reason, Religion — Scottie @ 05:44

Baptist Minister and Scholar Writes a Solid Piece on Limits of Religious Liberty

The “Return America” protesters betray a fundamental misunderstanding of religious liberty in still another way. They presume that their right to worship the way they choose is greater than their responsibility to love their neighbors. Following a reasonable plan for public safety is not a violation of religious liberty. It is a way of loving our neighbors.

At the recent “Return America” protests in Raleigh, participants did not observe social distancing guidelines nor did they wear protective masks. It is understandable to question whether these same people will abide by recommendations for safe indoor gatherings. Religious liberty as put forth in the First Amendment is a shield for protecting all, not a sword for injuring others.

Not a sword for injuring others. I like that. Read it all.

More at the links above.  The top links has some really great clips.  The bottom link will demand you allow advertisements to read the story.   Hugs

1. Actually, both sites want you to disable ad blocking. The last one is less strict than the Friendly Atheist.

But to the point of your post … there was another write-up in our local paper about the (adamant) efforts of some churches to sue our Governor for her restrictions on openings. One person used the argument that the bible encourages the gathering together of people to pray and worship … and using this, he argues that this makes church worship “essential.” The only thing essential is his desire to exhort money from his church members for the “privilege” of listening to him preach.

Comment by Nan — May 28, 2020 @ 12:13

• Hello Nan. Really the Friendly Atheist never asks me to stop my ABP. I never see advertisements on that site. Sorry to everyone that I misled on that, I have learned, often the hard way, that the way I see websites is not the way others do, including my own blog.

Nan you know the bible far better than I ever will. But isn’t there a passage that says when you pray to do so in your closet, sort of in secret, and do not be like those that do so in public to show how pious they are?

I guess that is the thing I tired hard to argue with Mel Wild while I still cared to talk to him, the Christian bible let anyone believe anything they wanted too. He just kept telling me those people where not Christians. WTF? I gave up.

Please keep me updated on the situation, I want to know if religious make believe over comes constitutionally affirmed government authority. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 28, 2020 @ 13:46

• Yes, Scottie, there is such a scripture. But like ALL Christians, this person used the scripture that supported his case. This is one of the big reasons why it’s difficult to argue with and/or convince “bible-believers” when discussing scripture. They can whip out just about any chapter and verse to support their personal outlook.

It always makes one wonder why “God” was unable to direct his various ghost-writers in such a way that the end result was indisputable.

Comment by Nan — May 28, 2020 @ 14:01

• Hello Nan. Great point. The all knowing and all powerful could have made the message clear, if it wanted too. Heck I strive really hard to make my self clear but often fail. Why is that? Because I am a human mammal animal and not a supreme being.

I know you do not watch much video, but there is a TV show called Miracle Workers with Daniel Radcliffe. I loved the first show. I am hoping to see more as they become available off cable for free.

Frustrated with the current state of Earth, God has pretty much given up to focus on petty hobbies. Thinking the end might be near, two determined angels try to change his mind. Craig and Eliza, low-level angels responsible for handling all of humanity’s prayers, must convince their boss to save humanity and answer their most impossible prayer yet: help two humans, Laura and Sam, fall in love. The seven-episode limited series, based on Simon Rich’s book “What’s in God’s Name,” turns the perception of heaven upside down while also making the case that humans are worth saving. Daniel Radcliffe and Steve Buscemi executive produce and co-star as Craig and God, respectively.

I really suggest you look on YouTube and watch the first show to see how god is shown. It maybe true, it could explain a lot. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 28, 2020 @ 15:23

• I have YouTube on my Roku … and have watched a couple of movies on it. However, I avoid ANY and ALL movies/series that involve any kind of religious plot. Even when it’s anti-religion, I just don’t care to spend my spare time that way. But thank you for the suggestion. Maybe other readers will take you up on it. 😉

Comment by Nan — May 28, 2020 @ 15:39

• Hello Nan. Where does the paper come down on this? Do they agree with the attempts to stop the spread or do they side with the chrurches? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 28, 2020 @ 13:57

• So far it’s just been reporting. The editorial board tends to lean progressive/liberal, but they’re pretty good at printing both sides. Since it’s the only newspaper, they do try to stay comparatively neutral.

Comment by Nan — May 28, 2020 @ 14:06

• Hello Nan. I am very tired. I spent the last three hours making ( I prefer creating ) a red spaghetti sauce with all my seasonings and some cooked garlic bread.

Ron asked me this morning and made sure I had everything I needed to make it. He loves my sauces, which makes me feel really good.

I used a different brand of tomato sauce, I used Hunts. Normally I use Dei Fratelli , as it is the most tomato tasting. But I made the Hunts work, seasoned everything including using minced garlic, crushed red peppers, tri-pepper mix, onion, garlic, oregano, basil ground beef, ground sausage, celery salt ( I did not have celery nor the time to simmer it soft enough for Ron ) black pepper, and a few things I used so slight as came under my hand I can not remember. Then after the sauce had simmered and was well cooked, I got the garlic bread in , everything came out great. Except I am exhausted. It is not yet 6 PM here. I was trying to pick stuff up when Ron volunteered to do so. I love to cook, I love to make Ron happy. But I do not have a lot of stamina, and I had to take a bunch more medication to cook the meal. Ron realized just how bad I was / am , which I was trying to hide from him and now he is asking me to go to bed, and upset he asked me to make supper. I tried telling him it is just part of living, but he is not buying it I think. He suggested I take a few minutes to sign off and then go to bed. He declined to address the fact I have both cats on my desk who are very happy to have me up. Oh well I guess I will do the rest of the comments in the morning. Best wishes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 28, 2020 @ 18:08