June 5, 2020

Two Buffalo Cops Suspended After Shoving An Elderly Man, Police Had Claimed He “Tripped And Fell”

This is the police state we live in.  An authoritarian brutal police in charge at all costs country.  Even when some wanted to help the man others forced them not to.   IS this protecting the people?   Is this for the public good?   Only two cops suspended?   What about the others who were there and did not offer aid?   Hugs

Two Buffalo Cops Suspended After Shoving An Elderly Man, Police Had Claimed He “Tripped And Fell” [VIDEO]

Please go to the link above and read the reports from the various news organizations that were there and seen this.   The police originally lied about saying the man fell during a skirmish with police.   Hugs

An unidentified, 75-year-old man was shoved by two officers in the line. The man lost his balance and fell to the pavement, audibly hitting his head with blood running out from under his head. The man is in serious, but stable condition at ECMC as of Thursday night, reportedly with a concussion and lacerations.

1. Hi Scottie. I live in Buffalo, NY, I was born here & I’ve lived here most of my adult life (I have also lived in Cleveland, OH, Lowell, MA & various suburban & rural locations around NY state). As a whole, the cops in Buffalo are a pretty mellow lot & they always were but it only takes a few assholes to F up the party.

There’s been vandalism & looting in Buffalo but it’s been mostly liquor stores & 7-11’s & places where people could smash & grab & get what they wanted … not the wide-spread rioting that’s been reported. No major grocery stores have been hit. (& we have LOTS of them here). I mean, it makes sense to loot a liquor store IMHO. All the bars are closed. & this is BUFFALO.

I was wondering when something like this was going to happen. The curfew is so stupid, there’s people on the streets in every (white) neighborhood, walking their dogs, hanging out with their friends, riding bikes … cops aren’t bothering THEM.

Comment by silverapplequeen — June 5, 2020 @ 07:55

• Hello Polly. The two men, the one shoved and the one arrest seem white to me. The police seem to be attacking people not doing anything violent or harmful. Why was the police officer forcing the news crew back and off the steps? It doesn’t make sense to me. However Gov Cuomo had to take back his asinine statement that no police in the sate were attacking and hurting peaceful protesters. His eyes got opened. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 5, 2020 @ 10:39

• Yeah, Cuomo may be a democrat but he governs like a republican. He’s hated by both sides. It’s too bad, he’s really not a bad guy. I’ve met the man. He’s personally a nice guy. But he’s trying to be too many things to too many people.

Comment by silverapplequeen — June 6, 2020 @ 07:07

2. The thing I immediately saw in this video is how all the cops just kept moving after pushing the old guy down. One cop actually looked over at him and shook his head like he was disgusted. Only ONE officer stopped and called for help. I guess the rest of them were all excited because they saw an individual carrying a sign … “Oh boy! Oh boy! We get to show our authority and get rid of this rabble-rouser!” And of course, the roughing-up of the news photographer.

As I said in another comment … this stuff is getting waaaay out of hand and it’s really beginning to bother me at a core level. The only reason I followed up on this one was because I’d read about it elsewhere and wanted to watch the video.

Comment by Nan — June 5, 2020 @ 12:18

• Hello Nan. I am sorry that you are getting so distressed, but in truth that is the proper response to all that is happening. Nan we are watching the police try to maintain a system of brutal inequality for racist at all levels. It is not just tRump and what he stands for. Right now people of color are tired of being unable to live as freely as white people. People of color are tired of being killed for no reason. People … yes they are people who should have the same right, the same privileges fear for themselves and their children at times when white people don’t. As a gay man I fought for the same equal rights as straight people. I know how discrimination tore at me, and still does. How much it angers me to be treated less than others for no reason. I remember how great it felt to have allies in the fight. People that would risk themselves, walk with us, march with us, donate to our cause, and fight oppression facing those police officers trying to knock us down and make us too afraid to come back out again.

Nan that is happening today. The POC are now need us to walk with them, stand with them, face those brutal police officers and stand beside POC and in between the police and them, asking if we will risk the condemnation and losses they risked for us.

I know what kind of society I want. I want one where equality is for everyone, protections are for everyone, where freedoms are for everyone, where not having to be afraid is for everyone. So I have to look, I have to post and reblog the events, I have to bear the distress, because I want it all to change and never happen again. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 5, 2020 @ 13:49

• I understand and applaud your devotion to the causes that are so relevant today. We need people like you. As for me, while I see and feel sympathy and distress for those who are considered “lesser humans,” I’m just not at a point in my life where I have the energy and/or drive to do what you do.

Moreover, to my thinking, if we had a LEADER that encouraged and promoted equality and fairness to ALL … much of what has happened in the last several days could have been avoided. But we don’t … so he’s the one I tend to focus on. We simply MUST get this man out of office … for oh-so-many reasons!!!

Comment by Nan — June 5, 2020 @ 14:03

• Hello Nan. I do understand, really. Ron can not face much of the news either, and if I start telling him the morning stuff when he gets up I can easily over load him and get him to the point where he just can not hear any more, for his own mental health. We all have the things in our life that make us do what we do, we all have our breaking points. I wish you to take care of yourself. The world needs your voice and will when the dust settles in all this. My place is different than yours at this time. But we all do what we can to make a new and better world for everyone. That includes voting tRump and all Republicans out of office and out of power. Be well Nan. I care about you. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 5, 2020 @ 18:37

3. I just saw two different angles of that scene and it disgusted me. Those cops are only suspended for now. Those are assault and elderly abuse cases that are easy to prove. Even white people aren’t safe from police brutality. They should also charge the others for just standing there and doing nothing. There’s massive outrage (rightfully so) and Jim Gaffigan of all people encouraged others to join a petition with over 250K signatures so far. I’m sure when white America saw that video they were thinking the protestor could’ve been their grandfather, father, or even them if they’re old enough. Maybe this could be that watershed moment for unity to drastically reform how police treat people or at the very least a moment where they can finally sympathize what it’s like to be black in this country.

I’m glad you’ve been using your platform to bring light to these issues, Scottie.

Comment by ospreyshire — June 5, 2020 @ 13:58

• Hello ospreyshire. Thank you. I will do all I can to be an allie. This is an issue that goes to the heart of what our country is, and what it will be. We are on the cusp and I want the US to fall on the side of total equality. I do not want anyone peacefully excising their rights or simply being who they are to face what has been happening and what we are seeing today.

Damn it, damn it, damn it. I just don’t have the words ospreyshire to express the furry I feel at this, yet people of color, you yourself fight this battle every day.

Several years ago a young black blogger I follow wrote about how different it was for him being followed by a police car and his white husband. It reinforced to me my white privilege. I am an older white guy , military back ground, sheriff trained. PI ( private investigator ) I am middle class. Basically I have every sign of white privilege.

When we were talking he told me his fears and what he has to go through if stopped by police. I remembered the only time I have been stopped by police and it is not because I am an angel on the roads.

It was back in the early 1980’s I was an 19 year old army kid who just finished his schooling and was heading home for his first leave. I had a cooler in the back seat full of soda and was getting all the last stuff done before I drove from Georgia to Vermont. I was speeding, doing way over the 35 MPH in that area, I was not even paying attention, had the radio on and I was hyped.

The police car flashed his lights and I pulled over. ** for anyone doubting white privilege please note the following mistakes ** I jumped out of my car and started to walk towards the officer. He unfold from his police car, a really big man. He held up his hand in the stop position and I did. I had no fear, in fact I was bouncing with energy, I was young, in great shape, ending a long time in training, wanting to go on my first leave, and I admit pretty clueless and dumb about life. He kept his hand on his baton as he walked up to me. I was in my normal Army pants and brown Tee shirt. He asked me what was going on. I excitedly told him I was going home the first time in 9 months of training. Again I was not following any be still command nor having any fear, I was happy and excited. He asked me my base, where I was headed, and looked into my back seat. He noticed the large cooler I had there. Here again my being a young white boy in my army boots, pants and brown tee shirt again gave me privilege. He said “Son you know you were going 56 in a 35 right”. “Don’t Answer” he followed with. He then told me to watch my speed, keep it down, and to leave anything in the cooler in there until I was parked for the night. That was it, he walked back to the cruiser and I got back into my car and drove off.

Today looking back and after my own police training I realize how many rules I broke. How close I could have come to a beating if nothing else. I bounded out of the car like a scared rabbit. Yet this was a different time and I am white. I was dressed in my almost complete military uniform.

I struggle with the idea of what a POC under the same circumstance would have faced. I don’t want that world. I want the world for everyone I had. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 5, 2020 @ 17:59

• That was a very insightful comment. It really shows about your character and how much you’ve been willing to learn no matter how different someone is. Thank you.

Comment by ospreyshire — June 6, 2020 @ 10:46

• Hello ospreyshire. I learned a long time ago to listen to others. I can learn a lot more about things I don’t know by listening to those who have the life experiences. I also understand people have more worth than their bank accounts. I also know in my heart that we are all one species, we are all humans. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 6, 2020 @ 11:11

• That’s amazing and I wished more people would listen in general. We need to see more of that humanity around especially in these times.

Comment by ospreyshire — June 7, 2020 @ 10:30

4. The breaking news is that the entire 57 member team of the Buffalo Riot Team have resigned. They are still Buffalo cops but they are no longer responding to riots & other crowd control situations. The mayor of Buffalo & the county executive are PISSED OFF. The story is here ~~~> https://buffalonews.com/2020/06/05/57-members-of-buffalo-police-riot-response-team-resign/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=breaking_entire_buffalo_police_departments_emergency_response_team_resigns&utm_term=

Comment by silverapplequeen — June 6, 2020 @ 07:04

5. Scottie, I saw this as well. This was terrible, as are the other baton beatings I have seen. While the majority of the protests and protestors are diverse and civil, the police have shown two notable sides. Many police have joined in and/ or supported the protests and protestors. We need to highlight them more.

Then there are some who have overreacted to situations where violence may have occurred by a small few, or they believe will occur. What they did to this elderly man and others (like in Charlotte the other night) is an example of poor police behavior and overreaction.

But, when you tell police to suit up in armor and expect bad things, it makes them fear what might happen. They are being wound up to act more aggressively to things they should not. A police chief who has been widely reported for training police to better understand their fear and not overreact to it, said it simply in an interview. Fear will cause you to make bad decisions.

When I see the protests, especially during the day, I see diversity in races and generations. I am truly proud to see that. The same occurs at night, but to me, the presence of few intent on violence coupled with a wound up police force, is kindling for overreaction. With that said, I see the footage of some violence during the day as well.

I have been in more than a few protests. I have never felt threatened, even when adversarial protestors have shown up. I strongly support civil protest, but cannot condone violence no matter who does it. And, that includes overzealous police as well.

Keith

Comment by Keith — June 6, 2020 @ 08:40

• Hello Keith. For such wide spread protests and with so many people there has been surprisingly little violence and destruction by protesters. In most of the videos of violence I have seen by small groups of police it seems to stem from the police demanding instant obedience and unquestioning respect. The idea that the police must be obeyed no matter what and any disrespect to the police is a crime in itself is a huge problem. The former police commissioner in NY ( the one tRump pardoned ) said when the police give you an order to go home, to move, you do it and don’t question it and if you don’t you deserve what you get. The old when ordered to jump you ask how high idea. It shouldn’t be this way. The ego of the militarized police is a threat to democracy. The police are acting like abusive parents whose first response to a disobedient child is to beat them. That mentality has to change. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 6, 2020 @ 10:30

• Scottie, your point is well-taken. To me, the push back must not be worse than the infraction. For example, chasing a car through crowded streets is far more dangerous than a speeder. Get the license plate and knock on the door.

Far too many of these killings by police of black suspects have been over pedestrian accusations. Garner was choked to death over selling contraband cigarettes.

I know the police have a hard job, but they make it harder when they permit some to act like stormtroopers without repercussions. The new Montgomery, AL chief who gave John Lewis his badge in honor, requires all new cadets (and current law enforcement) to go through a history class on racial discrimination. He says it has helped provide a needed context. Keith

Comment by Keith — June 6, 2020 @ 11:04