July 11, 2020

Making snickerdoodles for James. They have so much butter the dough has to be kept chilly

Filed under: News — Scottie @ 10:09

1. Thanks for the reminder — I haven’t made them in ages! Too hot here today to bake but maybe tomorrow. XX

Comment by Carmen — July 11, 2020 @ 10:38

• Hello Carmen. They were great, but I made too many. Then when he came to get them he couldn’t come in because he had been exposed to Covid 19. But he was really happy with them. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 13, 2020 @ 15:26

2. Mama used to make these when I was a kid. OMG! We loved these cookies. My sister and I would lick the batter off the metal beaters. Not supposed to do that, but hey, we’re still alive!

Comment by Paul — July 11, 2020 @ 11:46

• Hello Paul. I admit I took a taste of the batter just to see what it tasted like. I had never made these before but when I told James I was going to make some cookies he asked for these. I had made a loaf of egg bread he was coming over to get anyway. I like them. As soon as I get my back under me I think I will make some more oatmeal cookies. The snickerdoodles have a bit too much sugar in them for me to eat many. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 13, 2020 @ 15:32

3. It’s not the butter … it’s so they keep their shape when you go to roll them & bake them. I use nothing but butter when I bake & there’s plenty of cookies that don’t require chilling before baking. Chocolate-chip cookies come instantly to mind.

Snickerdoodles are one of my mother’s favorite cookies. She’s always baking for the church she belongs to. She’s 85.

Comment by silverapplequeen — July 11, 2020 @ 12:09

• HA! If circumstances were MUCH different, I might consider visiting her church … 😄! As it is, I’m afraid it would take much more than snickerdoodles.

Comment by Nan — July 11, 2020 @ 12:13

• Hello Polly. Thank you for the tip. I had that happen the first batch of cookies I made a couple months ago. At first they were holding their shape but as the bowl of batter and the baking sheets got hot they spread in to large smears. I have since learned to refrigerate the batter between trays and to rotate the trays so the new bunch get put on a cool sheet.

Congratulations to your mom. I had not cooked or baked for years. Yet when Ron first got furloughed he was so anxious all the time that I started cooking with him to give him something to focus on. It reminded me that I really enjoy doing it. So I have kept it up. I got sent a recipe for a breakfast treat that uses store cinnamon buns that you cook at home and apple pie filling. I am going to try it soon. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 13, 2020 @ 15:43