The Many Things In My Toy Box ….my view may change due to verifiable evidence

According to IPS, a progressive think tank, the 12 top U.S. billionaires have seen their combined wealth soar by 40%—or $283 billion—since the coronavirus began spreading rapidly across the U.S. in mid-March, sparking widespread economic shutdowns and mass job loss.

“During the first stage of the pandemic, between January 1 and March 18, the collective wealth of the Oligarchic Dozen declined by $96 billion,” wrote IPS researchers Chuck Collins and Omar Ocampo. “But their wealth quickly rebounded and surpassed their September 2019 Forbes 400 wealth level. The only exception is Warren Buffett, who is still $2 billion below his September 2019 wealth, but is currently worth $80 billion.”

Last Thursday, the billionaires’ combined wealth reached $1.015 trillion—the first time in U.S. history that the collective net worth of the top 12 American billionaires has topped the trillion-dollar mark. According to IPS, Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has seen his wealth jump by $48.5 billion since mid-March, making him the “biggest pandemic profiteer” of the group.

“This is simply too much economic and political power in the hands of twelve people,” Collins, director of IPS’ Program on Inequality and the Common Good, said in a statement.

There is more at the link above including the individual wealth of the wealthiest people.  Hugs

7 thoughts on “‘Disturbing Milestone’: Just 12 US Billionaires Now Own More Than $1 Trillion in Combined Wealth

1. Nan says:

“There is more at the link …” Thanks, but no thanks. I’m most definitely not interested in reading about how the rich got richer. 😡

1. Scottie says:

Hello Nan. I wonder if people realize the disconnect in the country over wealth and security. Millions without jobs, healthcare, food, and housing all lost in the last 6 months while at the same time 12 people made 283 billion more. It is a shame that they made 283 billion in 6 months, but a crime while the rest suffer so badly. Taxing just a fraction of that higher could give the benefits so many need and provide universal healthcare to everyone. Anyone who thinks taxing the wealthy is wrong simply has no clue how much money a billion is and how the economy really works. But we seen this happen in other countries, the wealthy took over, the people worked harder, had less, died after short hard lives with no luxuries while the wealthy played on yachts sucking all the countries incomes into their pockets. But we have seen in the Scandinavian countries how regulated capitalism with wealth taxes can provide profits for the wealthy and services and comfort to the people in the country. Hugs

1. Nan says:

Millions without jobs, healthcare, food, and housing all lost in the last 6 months.
        It’s all the Democrats’ fault! Surely you knew that!

2. Angela Grant says:

The rich got richer and the poor died. That will be the story of the pandemic while Trump occupies the WH.

1. Scottie says:

Hello Angela. Yes you are correct. Plus there will be many more needless deaths to feed his ego. I have reading your blog, I wanted to ask if you use melatonin to help you sleep? Ron uses it as he also has insomnia. I am very glad you’re able to exercise. Hugs

1. Angela Grant says:

Hey Scottie, in the early days before I thought sleep was an issue Benadryl worked. Then I moved on to Valerian root and melatonin. Both worked well for a time along with chamomile tea. Then I was tried on all the sleep meds I ever prescribed. That was eye opener since I couldn’t tolerate most. The fatigue caused by my insomnia was off the charts. I needed meds to keep me awake. And that was where the problems began.

1. Scottie says:

Hello Angela. I am sorry to hear that. Sleep is far more important than most people realize. That is why preventing people from sleeping is a torture and interrogation technique. I hope you get relief soon. Hugs