The Many Things In My Toy Box ….my view may change due to verifiable evidence

“It’s so upsetting that they have a national audience,” Talve said. “It’s upsetting we make heroes out of people who hate.”

The McCloskeys are Talve’s neighbors. Their property’s northern wall abuts the property of St. Louis’ Jewish Central Reform Congregation, where Talve is the rabbi.

In 2013, the synagogue placed beehives along the wall to produce honey for Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. One morning they found the hives destroyed and all the bees dead. Mark McCloskey had taken an ax or sledgehammer to them.

His issue? The fence between them sat six inches inside the McCloskey’s property line. The hives were his to wreck.

“He could have picked up the phone and said, ‘Hey, those beehives are on my property,’ and we would have happily moved them,” said Talve.

She said the McCloskeys didn’t contact the temple at all before lashing out.

Instead, McCloskey left a note threatening to sue the synagogue for damages if the shattered hives were not removed at once.

“Civility,” Talve said. “I’m willing to speak out now because there’s such a lack of civility that’s happening, and I don’t feel like I can be a part of that, and silence is complicity.”

Talve paused.

“They are bullies,” she said. “The fact that they’re speaking at the convention is a win for bullies.”

“At the time, we decided not to, because it was on their property,” she said. “They’re both attorneys. They’ve caused a lot of trouble for people. The advice that we got was, let it go. We live next door to these people that have guns and we have children. But every once in a while you have to speak up and say enough.”

The McCloskeys made national headlines by waving guns at Black Lives Protesters who neared their mansion on tony Portland Place on the evening of June 28.

But by then they already had a long and well-documented history of litigation, threats and neighborhood feuds.

They were locked in litigation to make their neighborhood association enforce a rule against unmarried couples residing there. Talve said they only cared because a gay couple had moved into the exclusive neighborhood.

“Certain people on Portland Place, for political reasons, wanted to make it a gay issue,” Mark McCloskey told The Post-Dispatch.

But Talve doesn’t buy it.

“Any chance they have to sow division they’ll take it,” she said.

She said the couple’s actions during the evening of the Black Lives Matter march are a case in point.

The protesters were peaceful, Talve said.

She said she knew this because many members of her synagogue marched with them, and she works closely with many of the local BLM activists.

There is more at the link above including an image of the threatening note that was left.   Shows what kind of people tRump attracts and Republicans back.   Hugs

9 thoughts on “The rabbi who is neighbor to Mark and Patricia McCloskey speaks out: ‘They are bullies’

1. Scottie says:

Good morning Polly. It is a real pain when you have bad neighbors. Hugs

1. ospreyshire says:

Next thing in the news is that water is wet. It’s mind-numbing how these armed thugs managed to be featured in the RNC convention despite them being charged.

1. Scottie says:

Hello Ospreyshire. I think this is the cult of tRump that calls it self the Republican party admitting openly they are a white racist party. The protesters were walking on the street, not trespassing on these horrible peoples legal property. This gun loving horrible racist white couple claimed they were in fear for their lives by having black lives matter people walking down the street? They were that scared of people of a different belief and some of a different skin color they posed on their lawn in almost a drunken pose in stained shirts and no shoes that they were hard core white people defending their home from … nothing. Yet these people who violated the law are being honored by a lawless authoritarian government in what was once a democracy. We are so screwed, and we must get people . white mostly but some of color, to realize how much damage has been done to this country by the emotional need to feel superior to some one else that even skin color can be used to achieve that.

I am white. I have been very red as I sunburn fast. I never tanned but I know a lot of white people who spent a lot of unproductive hours trying to darken their skin ( they should have worked as produce farm workers as that will get you a lot of sun but with out much money in payment ) I never took a test to get my white skin. I never applied for it. I simply was born this way. The same way others of different skin color where born. I did not achieve anything , earn anything, work for anything to get it. Two white people mixed DNA and I am here.

It doesn’t make me better than anyone else, and it shouldn’t give me automatic privileges in a country where all people should have equal rights. I am not even that exceptionally smart. I am average in every way , except my body is failing and I am rather fat and very out of what is a normal human shape.

I say this because the idea of racial superiority is not only a myth it is a desperate wish in the minds of very flawed failed people. Be well my friend and do not let these attacks get you down. Hugs

1. ospreyshire says:

That’s certainly the case with the modern GOP. Sure, you have a few Republicans calling 45 out, but anyone with a shred of decency shouls condemn this administration. Those protesters in St. Louis didn’t do anything, so that was totally on that couple. More people need to wake up to see these double standards.

I’ve certainly heard and seen those stories with the tanning and sunburn. It’s not your fault with the skin and ethnicity, so I didn’t want to sound like it was the case. I know you care about people of all hues.

Exactly, nor do I feel superior to others regardless of my low self-esteem issues. People should have equal rights.

THANK YOU! I’m glad you see it as a very atrocious and fallacious myth. Thanks for the encouragement.

1. Scottie says:

Hello Ospreyshire. Thank you for all the complements. I can some times not be clear when I write, sorry about that. When I mentioned sunburning and tanning it was only to highlight the hypocrisy of white people looking down on people of other skin tones while trying to change their own.

I am sorry you have self esteem issues. I wish I could give you some of the over the top self esteem of people who do not deserve it. If it means anything I have always enjoyed our interactions and value your comments.

Especially now when so much of my content is on BLM. It is hard for me as a white older male person to fully understand what the daily life struggle for a black person is like. In this context I am a person with limited sight trying to navigate a steep hillside, and I must rely on you and other POC to lead me through it. Even the terminology can be scary to me. Is black OK, or should I use POC? How to write with out giving offence I did not mean? Any advice you can give is welcome, and thanks. Be well. Best wishes. Hugs

1. ospreyshire says:

No problem. That’s fine. I do get what you were trying to say though.

Yeah, it’s been a work in progress to say the least. Thank you.

I see. Thanks for being honest in not fully understanding but wanting to learn and to be an ally. Interesting question about Black vs. POC. People have different opinions about the terminology. I’m just speaking for myself, but I use POC to refer to any non-white ethnic group. I say Black when I’m specifically when I’m talking about those of African descent (in the continent, Caribbeans, African-Americans, Black Europeans, etc.). You didn’t offend me at all.

1. Scottie says:

Hello ospreyshire. Thanks. Some of the best times in my life have been in other countries learning of their cultures. I just never understood I would also need to learn about the non-equality in my home country and fight to make it home for everyone regardless of skin color. Hugs

1. ospreyshire says:

No problem. That’s awesome how you got to visit other countries. Only been to one place outside of America with Ecuador a few years ago. I love learning about other cultures and countries. Growing up watching Where In the World Is Carmen Sandiego certainly helped in that regard during my childhood? Hahaha! Okay, in all seriousness, learning about the different forms of inequality would be helpful. It’s not just about slurs, sheets, or even dog whistle phrases. This permeates into other activities in subtle and overt ways like finance, entertainment, religion (mainly those who use it to excuse their bigotry), law, etc.