The Many Things In My Toy Box ….my view may change due to verifiable evidence

WordPress has retired my theme. I like it. It is simple, has a nice full width page, shows the entire post, shows the posts one after the other. However they would like to me pick a new one saying I will get a better response and makes using the new system easier. I have spent a bunch of today trying to find a similar one that has the same features. I can find any. I found one that was close but they only show a portion of the post. Anyone have any suggestions. Hugs

10 thoughts on “Theme

1. Nan says:

MUST you get a new theme? The fact they’re “retiring” the theme could primarily mean that they won’t support any changes you might want to make to the overall look … or if you ran into some kind of problem with the theme itself.

In the (distant) past when I was actively writing on several blogs, I used themes that became “extinct” in that they were no longer available to NEW bloggers — yet I was still able to use them.

1. Scottie says:

Hello Nan. I have kept using it so far. Some times posts refuse to post for a few times and there are hiccups even using the classic work around. Seems the new editor doesn’t work well with this theme. All the ones I looked at today were busy, and none had the full post single page I like. I will keep using it until I can find something like it or it stops entirely. Boy this editor change really has been a pain in my … Hugs

1. Nan says:

Just curious … where are you looking?

Those “hiccups” you mention may be what’s behind their recommendation …

1. Nan says:

If you haven’t already, you might want to type in WP Themes and do a general search. There are various sources that offer themes that work with WP. (If you don’t want to pay anything, just add “Free”). You may find something you like that’s been created just for WP but by an “outsider.”

1. Scottie says:

Hello Nan. Good idea. Premium themes are supposed to be free with the business plan. I will check it out later, kind of burned out on it today. Hugs

2. Argus says:

The old was so much easier to use. I used it in a manner like typing on a sheet of paper, but with mod cons.
    The new blocky thing is simply not ‘user friendly’.

I have theory that every so often the resident egg-noodles have to be seen to be doing their job so they come up with this sort of ‘progress’. Good luck~!

1. Scottie says:

Hello Argus. I agree. I also use to post as if it was just a big page. To have to decide blocks adds steps that make it harder to blog. I have bitched up a storm to tech support, but they simply refuse to budge on this. I am not sure if I will move my blog or not. They did give me a work around but it seems they really don’t want people to use it. I am at a loss how to move forward. Hugs

1. Argus says:

Perhaps the ‘Free’ blog is just the catcher and the too frequent ‘progress’ steps merely some form of unsubtle coercion? I think the term for it in the States is “Bait and switch”?

1. Scottie says:

Hello Argus. I never really had the free version as I use a lot of media / video / pictures / memes / so I had to pay for both the videos to work and the storage space for the media library I had. Plus I paid for my domain and for no adverts on my blog. So it was almost as much as the business plan. When I couldn’t add anymore storage with out going to the business plans unlimited I had to change plans. So I don’t know what to do. They made blogging harder for me but I doubt they care about my small blog. It sucks. Hugs